10 Nov Define Domain Name in Salesforce
Add a subdomain to your Salesforce org URL with the My Domain Salesforce feature. Having a subdomain lets you highlight your brand and makes your org more secure. A subdomain is convenient and allows you to personalize your login page.
Using My Domain, you define a subdomain that’s part of your Salesforce domain. For example, developer is a subdomain of the salesforce.com domain. With a subdomain, you replace the URL that Salesforce assigned you, like
with your chosen name, like
A subdomain is also referred to as a custom domain. However, a custom domain has a specific meaning for Salesforce Communities.
A subdomain name helps you better manage login and authentication for your org in several key ways. You can:
- Highlight your business identity with your unique domain URL
- Brand your login screen and customize right-frame content
- Block or redirect page requests that don’t use the new domain name
- Work in multiple Salesforce orgs at the same time
- Set custom login policy to determine how users are authenticated
- Let users log in using a social account, like Google and Facebook, from the login page
- Allow users to log in once to access external services
My Domain is required before you can use these Salesforce features:
- Single sign-on (SSO) with external identity providers
- Social sign-on with authentication providers, such as Google and Facebook
- Lightning components in Lightning component tabs, Lightning Pages, the Lightning App Builder, or standalone apps
Your domain name uses standard URL format, including:
- Protocol: https://
- Subdomain prefix: your brand or term
- Domain: salesforce.com
Your name can include up to 40 letters, numbers, and hyphens. You can’t start the subdomain name with root, status, or a hyphen.You have the chance to try out names and check availability before you commit to your domain name.
Salesforce is enabled as an identity provider when a domain is created. After your domain is deployed, you can add or change identity providers and increase security for your org by customizing your domain’s login policy.
- From Setup, enter My Domain in the Quick Find/Search box, then select My Domain.
- Enter the subdomain name you want to use within the sample URL. For example, if a company called Universal Containers uses the subdomain universal containers, the company’s login URL is
Your name can include up to 40 letters, numbers, and hyphens.
You can’t use these reserved words for subdomains:
You can’t start the domain name with:
- a hyphen (-)
- Click Check Availability. If your name is already taken, choose a different one.
- Click Register Domain.
- You receive an email when your domain name is ready for testing. It can take a few minutes.
The new subdomain is available to your users after you test and deploy it.
“Know more about Salesforce Consulting at Techila”