26 Oct What is Force.com Sites ?
Force.com Sites enables you to create public websites and applications that are directly integrated with your Salesforce organization—without requiring users to log in with a username and password. Users can publicly expose any information stored in your organization through a branded URL of your choice. It is possible to make the site’s pages match the look and feel of your company’s brand. Because sites are hosted on Force.com servers, there are no data integration issues. And because sites are built on native Visualforce pages, data validation on collected information is performed automatically. It is feasible to enable users to register for or log in to an associated portal seamlessly from public site.
Because Force.com sites are served directly from the Salesforce organization, a site’s availability is directly related to the organization’s availability. During your organization’s maintenance window for major releases, your sites will be unavailable; users who try to access a site will see a Force.com-branded maintenance page or your custom Service Not Available Page. It’s a good idea to inform your site users of the release maintenance windows and related sites unavailability in advance.
To setup a Force.com site:
- From Setup, enter Sites in the Quick Find /Search box, then select Sites.
- Register a custom Force.com domain for your organization.
- Create and configure site.
- Develop and use Visualforce pages for site, use or hide standard pages, and customize or replace out-of-box error pages. Associate these pages with site.
- Choose a site template. Use the lookup field to find and select a template that you’ve developed, or use the out of the box template provided. The site template provides the page layout and stylesheet for site and overrides any formatting inherited from the associated portal.
- Enable a portal for login or self-registration, then associate it with site.
- Optionally, modify public access settings.
- When you are ready to make site public, click Activate on the Site Details page. It is feasible to activate site from the Site Edit and Sites pages.
After setting up a site, it is possible to:
- Run reports and dashboards on your site.
- Create workflow rules that trigger email alerts when site-related criteria are met.
“Know more about Salesforce Consulting at Techila”